Sunday, November 4, 2012

Please vote!

This week, anyone who has voted early and is sick of hearing about politics or is a die-hard Romney fan may want to skip reading my blog post... and I apologize to you for bringing politics into an otherwise non-political blog! I promise I'll be back next week with a non-political post (a preview: I'm writing posts on our 2005 landing on Titan and on the White Sands Missile Range!)

Columbia, before its first flight.
Source: NASA.

If you're a U.S. citizen and you haven't early voted- in case you need to find out where to vote, what to bring, and whether you can still register, check out information for your state here. I hope you'll join me in voting for this guy on Tuesday:

President Obama and Uhura, fist-bumping Vulcan-style.
Source.

For any U.S. citizens who care deeply about space exploration, and are still deciding on a pick for president or in down-ballot races- a few weeks ago Space.com put together an in-depth comparison of the Obama and Romney campaigns' ideas for space exploration. It's available here. As for down-ballot races, this blog has educated me.

The view from low Earth orbit.
Source: MSNBC.

In case you're an undecided voter who wants to pick the candidate most likely to protect you from hostile space aliens, you should know that polls show that 2 out of 3 Americans believe President Obama would be better suited to fighting an extraterrestrial invasion than Mitt Romney. And, while I'm up on my soapbox telling everyone in the U.S.A. their business, let me send a little advice towards outer space too. If you're a space alien who is planning to invade the Earth... I suggest you re-think your plans. Or face some dire consequences!


Happy Independence Day!
Source: Youtube.

P.S.- Speaking of extraterrestrials... ever wonder how astronauts vote? Astronauts who are Texas residents (that's probably the vast majority of U.S. astronauts) are allowed to vote from space, via an electronic ballot. Florida resident and current International Space Station inhabitant, astronaut Suni Williams, voted via absentee ballot before she launched on her current mission.

Sources: Space Politics; Space.com; ABC News; USA Today; Obama for America; Youtube.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Paulina! It was a great night, wasn't it? We volunteered in Iowa today, so we just got home now. I'm exhausted but also so happy!!

      Delete